CHLORHEXIDINE (klor HEX i deen) is used as a skin wound cleanser and a general skin cleanser. This medicine is also used as a surgical hand scrub and to cleanse the skin before surgery to help prevent infections.
Chlorhexidine may be used for other purposes; ask your health care provider or pharmacist if you have questions
This medicine is for external use only. Do not take by mouth. Follow the directions on the label or those given to you by your doctor or health care professional. Keep out of eyes, ears and mouth. This medicine should not be used as a preoperative skin preparation of the face or head.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this medicine may be used for children for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
Overdosage: If you think you have taken too much of Chlorhexidine contact a poison control center or emergency room at once. NOTE: Chlorhexidine is only for you. Do not share Chlorhexidine with others.
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
-allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
-increased sensitivity to the sun
This list may not describe all possible side effects for Chlorhexidine. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.Source: FDA
Interactions are not expected.
They need to know if you have any of the following conditions:
-any skin rashes or problems
-an unusual or allergic reaction to chlorhexidine, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
-pregnant or trying to get pregnant
This medicine may cause severe allergic reactions. Notify a health care professional right away if you think you are having an allergic reaction.
Do not take this medicine by mouth. Avoid contact with your ears and eyes. If contact with the eyes occur, rinse the eyes well with plenty of cool tap water.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Store away from direct light and heat. Do not freeze. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.